NYC & Teen Vogue Fashion University Photo Diary

I'm back...sadly. My wonderful and magical week in NYC and TVFU is over, but now I have loads to tell you about my experience.


Monday, we took a plane from Nashville to Chicago to New York. My first plane experience was very cool. You could see every house and street. Cars looked like tiny little pencil marks from the view on the plane. Clouds looked like cotton candy, and you could see the huge shadows they left on the Earth. Was it scary? Nope. The only problem I had was an ear ache. When we first arrived in the heart of NYC, all I could do was sit there with my jaw dropped open at all the amazing things I saw! I think it dropped even lower when I saw Times Square (keep in mind that it was night, so it was even more beautiful). It was exciting and exhilarating to be there. It was rainy when we first got there, but it still looked awesome. I remember walking around on the streets, and I loved it. I much rather walk everywhere than taking a taxi, bus, or subway because you could see everything and take it in. It was super busy that night (it honestly always is) and people were wearing rain boots and holding umbrellas everywhere. I loved the rush of it and couldn't wait till tomorrow. 
At Nashville airport before my first flight. 


Flying to Chicago.


Arriving in New York.

The next day we went to the Conde Nast building (where some of TVFU takes place), Rockefeller Plaza, and walked through 5th Avenue (it was freezing and especially windy). The Conde Nast building has the offices of Teen Vogue and Vogue inside. While standing outside of the building I did a double take. I saw Jane Kelter de Valle(editor of Teen Vogue) walk into the building, and I couldn't believe my eyes (*fan girling*)! She looked fashionable and amazing. I didn't want to tear my eyes away from the place hoping I'd see more editors walk in. We sadly had to leave to go to Rockefeller Plaza. It was just how I pictured it! The ice skating rink just opened that day and a group of famous skaters had just been skating there on the TODAY show that morning. We proceeded to 5th Avenue where we saw all kinds of stores! It was very overwhelming. Later, I ate at my first food vendor. There are so many different kinds to choose from. I got something from an Indian food vendor that couldn't have been healthy, but it was delicious. After that, we went to the well-known Magnolia bakery and purchased a vanilla bean cheesecake that was excellent. We walked around Times Square later and by the time we had done this, the day was over. When we walked back to our hotel, we brushed shoulders with Fred Armisen (SNL actor). What a great way to end the day, right?



Where I saw Jane Keltner de Valle walk inside.

Rockefeller Plaza

Where the Christmas tree goes!


Louis Vuitton on 5th Avenue



Times Square.



Wednesday we spent the day in SoHo, Greenwhich Village, and Little Italy. This was the day I rode the subway for the first time. It was a very quiet and bumpy ride. I felt like a true New Yorker standing up and holding on to the rail. Our first stop was at the Dominque Ansel Bakery to eat my very first french macaroon! We spent the rest of our time in SoHo looking inside shops. When we returned home that day, we ate our very first NY style pizza from Bella Vita. Now I can say I felt like a New Yorker.


I woke early the next morning for the TODAY show! There were loads of people surrounding the gate with their signs hoping to be seen on T.V. I was just hoping to meet Kathy Lee and Hoda (I watch them every morning almost). I unfortunately did not get to meet them, but I did meet Al Roker! I barely got a glimpse of Hoda walking in to get her hair and makeup done. I also saw Savannah, Matt, Al, and Natalie when they came outside to report. The coolest part was seeing Cee Lo Green walk out to meet some of us. I did get a video and picture of him! Later, I watched Kathy Lee and Hoda do their segment and they are so fun. I was on T.V. too. I truly got the whole TODAY show experience. To spend the rest of the day, we decided to take a walk through Central Park. It's perfect to walk through there during the fall because of the trees changing colors. We also walked on Madison Avenue where there are more designer shops (I died when I first saw Oscar de la Renta and Valentino). It was a perfect fall day.

TODAY Show

Doesn't Natalie look super cute?

I love Savannah's trench.

Al Roker, of coarse.

You can kinda see inside.

The back of Kathy Lee and Hoda.

Valentino on Madison Avenue.



Friday, we all decided to sleep in after waking up early to sight-see everyday. It was a major rainy day in NYC anyway so it was ideal. We went to some vintage shops a few blocks away for a little while. The day went by super fast since we had slept in, so we ordered another pizza from Bella Vita, and I went to bed early for Fashion U. It probably took me an hour to try and fall asleep because I had butterflies in my stomach. It was as if it were the night before the first day of school.

Teen Vogue Fashion University is here. I registered that morning and they gave us free LeSportsac bags with awesome goodies inside like the November Issue of TV, H&M magazine, $20 gift card to Guess, a mini Roxy notebook, etc. They had different little stations set up to keep you busy till the first session. They also had an area where different hairstylists would do your hair however you wanted it and a photo booth where you could take pictures. We stood in line for what seemed like an hour. Everyone was dressed to impress; I seriously loved everything people wore. I also met a lot of super nice people while waiting in line. Fashion was the main topic of our conversations and what schools we were going to. When they finally opened the curtains, I kid you not, it was like Black Friday. It was a mad dash to try and get the best seats to see Grace Coddington up close. When Grace Coddington's session began, it was amazing. She started out talking about her childhood and how she got into the fashion world. Everything she said was beautiful, inspiring, and humorous. Her session was one of my absolute favorites. I took the most notes on her session. I remember her saying to always keep your eyes open. I remember a question asked about what excites her in fashion and she answered saying that she gets emotional over clothes and the way they're made. I thought her answer was beautiful. Another student asked what was the most rewarding part of her job and she answered, "Seeing the picture on the page." I loved that.  My second session was with Marie Suter, the Creative Director of Teen Vogue. She talked about places she had worked at in the fashion industry and what her job is like at Teen Vogue. I had the opportunity to ask, "While being educated in Paris, what inspired you?" Her response was, "It was more creative because France is a smaller place and not as brandish." I couldn't agree more. My third session was with Mary Kate Steinmiller, the Senior Fashion Market Editor of Teen Vogue. We put ourselves in groups and styled an outfit from a rack of American Apparel clothes. At the end, she asked us questions about our outfits we constructed and choose a winning outfit that'd be featured in Teen Vogue. In session 4, we got to know Erin Fetherston. She seemed very sweet and girly. You should check out her Spring 2013 RTW collection. Session 5 was my other favorite. We took a tour through the Teen Vogue offices. Amy Astley's assistant (Alyssa Reader) took us on the tour and it was AMAZING. The pictures below can basically explain what I saw, but it was one of those moments when you had to been there. Also, at the end of the tour, I won a free pair of Sperry's of my choice! The last session was the Teen Vogue Editors Panel. We learned about the Teen Vogue editors and got to ask questions! FYI, Eva Chen is not at Teen Vogue anymore. I was sad, but the woman taking her place, Elaine Welteroth, seemed nice! After the editors panel, I rushed to the stage to meet my role models. I sadly did not get to meet every editor because of the other hundreds of girls.

Amy Astley introducing Grace Coddington

Grace Coddington

Grace's first cover on British Vogue

The styling session with Mary Kate Steinmiller. She wore an awesome paisley skirt.

The sweet Erin Fetherston wearing her favorite color.

In the Conde Nast elevator.


The first thing I saw once I was inside.


Amy Astley's assistant, Alyssa Reeder

Sex and the City the movie was filmed in this office. SJP ground.

The accessories.

The fashion closet (every girls dream).


Look at all the beautiful models


I'm pretty sure that's Jane Keltner de Valle's office.

Amy Astley's office. It's so beautiful.

I love how the beauty products are just lying around.

Elaine Welteroth's office

A closet full of beauty products. They say it always smells good when you open the door.

A little bit of the fashion closet.

Some shoes inside the fashion closet.

The editors of Teen Vogue.

Sunday, was the last day of Fashion U. The seminar was called "Fashion in the Digital Age." We had speakers, Nadia Hussain (of Polyvore.com), Danica Lo(of StyleBistro.com), Treena Lombardo(of Shopbop.com), Rebecca Minkoff (designer),and Huan NGuyen (Lookbook.NU). They were wonderful speakers. I was especially inspired by Danica Lo when she said, "Get a degree in something you're passionate about. It brings more to the table." I talked to her after the seminar and she helped me out with some of my future choices. She made me realize that I don't want to go into a business degree because I'm not passionate about it. I took my picture with my graduation certificate and later left NYC.

Nadia Hussain (of Polyvore.com), Danica Lo(of StyleBistro.com), Treena Lombardo (of Shopbop.com), Rebecca Minkoff (designer),and Huan NGuyen (Lookbook.NU).



Today I'm at home, and I just unpacked my bags. Reality is back. This entire week is something I will never forget. 


Comments

Popular Posts